The outgoing governor of the Bank of England has warned that George Osborne's plan to boost the housing marke...
Choose a location
Enter your postcode or click the map
Why are we asking this?
You can listen to Smooth Radio across the UK, so we want to provide you with information that best suits your region. You won't need to set your location next time you visit.
Select upto 6 subjects
Fact sheet: Northern Ireland
Along with England, Wales and Scotland, Northern Ireland makes up the United Kingdom and is the last stop on our tour of Great British Summer destinations.
- Northern Ireland has a population of nearly two million people, making up just three percent of the UK total
- The capital city is Belfast, sitting on the west coast
- Belfast is a compact city, rich in architecture and culture, and is one of Europe's most popular destinations
- Northern Ireland is also famous for its castles, historic monuments and beaches - the coastal formations provide a number of beautiful sandy beaches, eleven of which have been awarded the renowned Blue Flag status
- The Giant's Causeway is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Northern Ireland. It is an area of coastline made up of 40,000 interlocking hexagonal-shaped columns of rock, forming a unique landscape
- Internationally renowned sports stars and artists from Northern Ireland include George Best, Alex Higgins, Dennis Taylor, Rory McIlroy, Van Morrison, C. S. Lewis and the poet Seamus Heaney
- Traditional Northern Irish dishes include Irish Stew, soda bread, potato bread, Champ (a mixture of mashed potato and spring onions), and, of course, steak and Guinness pie
- There are three official languages in Northern Ireland: English, Irish and Ulster Scots
- Lough Neagh, in the middle of Northern Ireland, is the largest freshwater lake in the British Isles, at 151 square miles
Join the conversation
why not save time filling in forms and let us do it for you...
You're logged in with facebook.
More from Smooth Radio
The Great British Summer and holiday discounts
As part of our Great British Summer, we want you to vote for the best place to visit
Celebrate The Great British Summer
Our pick of the best British tipples